Thursday May 21st – Monday, May 25th, 2009
Looks like this weekend is going to be SPECTACULAR! I am so excited because I am going to experience Blossom Festival in Chagrin Falls for the very first time! Hot air balloon races, pie eating contests, music, carnival rides and a race (Sunday @ 9am), my kinda weekend!
Join the residents of the Chagrin Falls as they welcome the arrival of warmer weather to the Falls. With flowers and trees in full bloom, the Chagrin Falls area is transformed from a winter wonderland into a warm, peaceful, enchanting place to spend your lazy summer evenings. After shopping, eating, rides, and games at the festival, don’t forget to spend some quality time enjoying the natural beauty of the area homes, gardens, parks, and the Chagrin River.
I think the best part of the weekend (besides the cotton candy) will be all the hot air balloons scattered over the village sky. There is something about a hot air balloon that hypnotizes me. Perhaps it’s the purring sound of the rush of flames being thrown into the sky, or the quiet calmness that hovers over the crowd as they watch in astonishment. Anyone want to get up early and meet me out there to watch the balloons take off Sunday morning, 6:00am, I will bring the coffee?
For those of you who think they are as cool as I do, check out these few fun facts….
• the most popular balloon is as tall as a 7-story building
• the average balloon costs $20,000 to $40,000
• ideal times to fly are just after sunrise and just before sunset
• a hot air balloon can land in water
• balloons can stay up for 1-2 hours depending on conditions and occupants
• inflating a balloon takes about 15 minutes
• invented back in 1783 in Paris, France (GO PARIS!)
For the full schedule and race application