Hello & Happy holidays friends! Can you even believe it? Time for turkey and pumpkin pie, visits to Santa and cookie swaps. It’s time for making your own lists and checking them twice making sure to be less naughty and to be way more nice.
For the past six or seven years, I have approached fellow small business owners for a gift donation to my yearly “twelve days of giveaways”…and while it was fun to feature some of my favorite businesses, this year I thought I would start by encouraging you to shop local with some of the best in town! Don’t worry…there will be a giveaway too..but just one…and closer to Christmas…stay tuned for more on that.
But for today and in the spirit of a small, local gift guide here are a few things I would recommend as the perfect gifts for your CLE friends around town. Let me know if I missed anything.
For your mom, sisters, best friends or gal pals around town.
• I found the best knit sweaters, hats and blanket-throws last week at Whiskey Grade. While I typically wouldn’t think of them as a destination for women’s apparel and housewares, this store has so many awesome girly gifts, I promise you will check someone off your list there.
• Have you been by the new GrooveRyde studio downtown or the original Woodmere location? A gift certificate to this new hot spot would be welcomed by any one of your fitness-loving friends. I love their spinning studio but I’ve really been wanting to try my hand (ha ha!) at their fitness boxing classes. Get your gal pal a few gift cards and the two of you can keep each other accountable to fitness during the holiday season.
• It’s cold outside and during these winter months it is really important to give our skin extra attention. With that said, I LOVE the facials that Leia at Flower Power Skin Studio in Lakewood offers. Not only is her studio super retro-chic, all of her products are organic and good for you! Don’t think you need a facial, then swing by on her special retail days to shop her moisturizers, soaps, fragrance and makeup lines that are too good to be true. For hours and information visit her instagram account…it’s so good!
• I do love a good candle at home during these chilly months. For some reason when there is a candle glowing in the kitchen it makes everything better, warmer, feels more like home. I would say, hands down the women of Sweet Dish & Darling Candles are my absolute favorite candle makers in town. My favorite scent? I LOVE Sunday Brunch but keep wanting to try the Pumpkin & Coconut.
• An incredible manicure! Every lady loves a good fancy-mani for the holidays, am I right? A bit of gold glitter, something more traditional like a clean red polish, perhaps each nail illustrated as Santa and his reindeer? Whatever your fancy, the ladies at Stella & Shay have been killing it with my monthly manicures as of late. I’ve received so many compliments and inquiries that I have my appointments scheduled out a few months in advance. Looking for a gift certificate for one of the best manicures in town, look no further than Stella & Shay!
For your better half, your man friend or your little brother.
• I recently discovered an incredible line of cocktail mixes made in Columbus, OH called Root 23 cocktail mixes. You can find them at a handful of boutiques around town including Natures Oasis in Lakewood and Happy Hour Collection in downtown CLE. I love their Vanilla Ginger with a shot of Maker’s…makes the perfect Manhattan.
• What man-friend doesn’t love a piping hot bowl of fresh ramen noodles? Have you had the chance to get out to the new Noodlecat at Crocker Park yet? I went last week with a group of work friends and it was seriously so good. I had something totally spicy and then a fried shrimp steamed bun and I honestly can’t wait to go back with my honey to try out a few other dishes. A gift certificate would be an awesome gift to use as an excuse for a great date night night out!
• The talented duo over at Room Service had a few things that I would TOTALLY pick up for my Mr. including a new crazy-cool line of military-inspired watches (above) as well as some gorgeous, custom-made backpacks and leather goods. (below)
For your little ones!
• Have you been to the new Children’s Museum of Cleveland? Wouldn’t that be an incredible gift to anyone with small Cleveland kiddos? I know at our house it’s more about experiences than things, so I would welcome this fun gift! $80 for a family membership sounds pretty reasonable for the entire year for 3 people. I think this would be close to the top of any family wish list this year. Get your new memberships here.
• I think that gifting a camp experience is a wonderful gift for any CLE kid. Become a member of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes and you can register for camp early before the open registration rush that happens in early January. I am so excited that our little one will be old enough for a camp experience this upcoming summer and so is he. Give the gift of nature camp…your kids will never forget it!
• Cookies! What little person doesn’t love a good cookie? From Blackbird Baking Company’s chocolate chip cookies to the gorgeous details of Luna Bakery sugar cookies, our city is bursting with talented bakers. They are the “go-to’s” for when you want to give a box of cookies to any kid (or adult) with a sweet tooth. Cookies make everyone happy. :)
• Baseball anyone? Have you been up to the Kids Clubhouse at Progressive Field during an Indian’s game? If you haven’t, gift a few tickets to a game next summer to see this space & the game…of course. It has great seating with awesome views, lots of toys, interactive exhibits and slides for the kiddos, phone charging stations for the parents and the cutest mini restrooms the whole gang will enjoy. While individual tickets aren’t on sale yet, you can pick up a gift card or give your little fan an IOU for summer tickets and a chance to visit the Kids Clubhouse with the Indians! Get your 2018 Indians tickets here.
• Books, Books & more Books! Every kid loves a good book. Whether they are like my 3-yr old toddler who flips through a handful of books at lightning speed or perhaps a more mature kid who can sit and enjoy a chapter book over the holidays…everyone loves a book. I recently took the time to visit Horizontal Books on West 25th in Ohio City. This independent book store has some really useful sections including an entire area devoted to kids books. They have some really unique and different books that you might not find at the bog box stores. Grab a latte and then head over to Horizontal to pick out a few good books for your little ones.
So those are just a handful of a few holiday gift ideas for you and your loved ones. I hope I was able to inspire you and give you a few creative ideas to make our holiday shopping enjoyable! Remember, stay tuned for a good giveaway as we get closer to the holiday! Happy shopping everyone.